The Historical Museum at St. Gertrude’s Annual Lecture Series begins this Thursday. These events provide insights into the history of our region and are held on Thursdays during the month of October with the support of the Idaho Humanities Council. Lectures begin at 7:00 p.m. and end at 8:30 p.m. A Q&A session with the presenters follows the lectures. Light refreshments are provided. These events are free and all are welcome.
October 6, 7:00 p.m. ~ Marc Entze: “Camas Prairie Railroad”
Marc A. Entze has a Ph.D. in Public History from Washington State University and his research focuses on railroad abandonment and rural communities. This presentation on the history of the Camas Prairie Railroad includes the life of its first photographer, Lillian Bell, and illustrates how the railroad was able to outlast most other similar rail lines in the United States. Dr. Entze serves on the board of directors for the Union Pacific Historical Society and edits the society’s quarterly journal The Streamliner, he is a historical consultant to several firms, and teaches history at Lewis-Clark State College.
October 13, 7:00 p.m. ~ Ivar Nelson and Patricia Hart, “The CCC in Idaho: Building Our State/Supporting People in Hard Times”
In the late 1930s, the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), built the Ski Round House on “Baldy,” several Sun Valley ski runs, Ketchum Ranger Station, campgrounds, and various roads. They were part of the most popular and longest lived of the New Deal programs initiated by the Roosevelt administration to mitigate the impact of the Great Depression. In all, 86,775 men worked for the CCC in Idaho during the 10 years from 1933 – 1942. Authors and scholars Ivar Nelson and Patricia Hart will explore how the CCC brought vitality to Idaho’s economy and society.
October 20, 3:00 and 7:00 p.m. ~ Keith Petersen and Sr. Mary Marge Goeckner: “History of the Benedictine Sisters of Idaho” with special tour of the new Museum exhibit (event takes place in the Historical Museum)
The Benedictine sisters have had a significant impact on the region. They arrived in the Pacific Northwest in 1882 from Sarnen, Switzerland, and founded their motherhouse in Cottonwood, Idaho, in 1909. Along the way, they founded 14 schools and two hospitals. Their varied ministries continue today in Cottonwood and beyond. Join Assistant Prioress Sr. Mary Marge Goeckner and former Idaho State Historian Keith Petersen for a guided tour of the the sisters’ story as depicted in the new Museum exhibit he helped create.
October 27, 7:00 p.m. ~ Doug and Phyllis Tims: Merciless Eden — A History of Campbell’s Ferry Ranch
First settled in 1897, Campbell’s Ferry Ranch is located on the Main Salmon River surrounded by the Frank Church-River of No Return Wilderness. Residents Doug and Phyllis Tims have written Merciless Eden, a history of the homestead and pioneers that includes Frances Zaunmiller Wisner. The book explores the changing views on the area’s natural resources. Doug Tims has a twenty-seven-year career in outfitting on the Middle Fork of the Salmon and Selway Rivers and serves in leadership of state and national outfitting organizations. Phyllis Tims is retired Dean of the College of Fine Arts and Associate Vice-President for the Arts at the University of Utah. Phyllis often leads visitors on tours of the homestead, telling stories of the lives of Ferry pioneers.
With the exception of the October 20 event (which will be at the Historical Museum), the events are held in the Johanna Room at Spirit Center at the Monastery of St. Gertrude located at 465 Keuterville Road, Cottonwood, Idaho. For more information: 208-962-2054 or firstname.lastname@example.org.