The Monastery of St. Gertrude is a 501(c)(3) corporation. We are a progressive, Catholic community of 35 Benedictine sisters as well as 80 oblates (lay members), 29 employees, and many active friends and benefactors. We are a part of the Diocese of Boise. Our primary focus is common prayer and community and out of that focus we minister in a variety of areas throughout the Northwest and beyond. We operate a spirituality/retreat center that hosts over 3,000 guests a year. We have a museum that focuses on the history of north-central Idaho and the Monastery. We operate a four-unit bed and breakfast. We own over 1,000 acres of timber and farmland which we actively steward for sustainability. Our monastic community includes sisters working as social workers, in health care, in parish ministry, and other areas. We are creative, pioneering, grounded in faith, and committed to moving into the future.
Our employees are extremely dedicated to our mission and find the monastery an excellent place to work. We consider our employees an integral part of our broader monastic community and have very low turnover. Our employees consider themselves committed to mission and ministry.
Cottonwood, Idaho, is located on the scenic Camas Prairie in north-central Idaho. It is a peaceful, quiet, small town with mountains, rolling hills, prairie, and an atmosphere that is a welcome relief from the noise, traffic, and busyness of the big city. It is an area with many opportunities for outdoor recreation with nearby rivers and reservoirs for fishing, rafting, and boating, two ski hills within 25 miles, and trails for cross-country skiing and for ATV and snowmobile use. For the hunter there are deer, elk, moose, bear, cougar, and migratory bird hunting. The cost of living is low. There is an award-winning hospital in town. The weather is temperate with mild, dry summers and limited snow in the winter.
Marketing and Communications Coordinator
Monastery of St. Gertrude, Cottonwood, ID
Job Type: Full-time
Looking for a job with a depth of meaning? The Monastery of St. Gertrude is a creative, forward-looking community that is a Center for Benedictine Life. We are a Benedictine, women’s monastery in the Roman Catholic tradition. We are taking the ancient, monastic tradition into an innovative future.
We are currently thirty vowed sisters, close to one hundred oblates (associates) twenty-one employees and numerous volunteers, friends and benefactors. We operate a 22-bed retreat center, a four-unit bed and breakfast, an award-winning museum and gift shop. We offer residential programs for artists, volunteers and are developing a cohousing community for women who want to live Benedictine life.
The Coordinator of Marketing and Communication is an integral part of our Development Office as well as the whole St. Gertrude’s community. In this position you will have the opportunity to creatively communicate the message of St. Gertrude’s through our website, social media, print materials, newsletters, press releases and other communication media.
You will have a chance to help the public to learn about, connect with, and support the mission and ministries of the Monastery of St. Gertrude. You will also support members of the St. Gertrude’s community in their marketing and communication needs. The Marketing and Communication Coordinator reports to the Prioress (superior) of the Monastery.
The position is full-time. An on-site presence is preferred in order to understand the unique culture of St. Gertrude’s. Remote work may be negotiated at some point.
- Develop and execute marketing and communications strategies to support increased awareness and commitment among supporters, stakeholders and participants in our mission and ministry
- Create engaging, compelling and shareable content that tells the story of St. Gertrude’s to raise awareness and inspire on-going support and connections
- Maintain and update multiple social media accounts
- Create and implement social media marketing plan and calendar
- Create, edit and publish content for website and social media, brochures, presentations, annual reports, print and digital ads, and other marketing and communication materials
- Assist with maintaining connections with our online audience, appropriately respond to and direct questions, concerns and comments generated from online sources
- Ensure that information published in any form is accurate, effective, timely and grammatically correct
- Track and monitor content effectiveness on social media platforms
- Collaborate with other departments on content creation and marketing campaigns
- Work with Monastery stakeholders so that all communications and public relations programs are consistent with the overall mission and vision of St. Gertrude’s and each individual ministry’s programs or services
- Participate in an annual evaluation by the Prioress and the Director of Ministries
- Accept other tasks assigned in relation to this position
- Creative, energetic, highly organized, and detail-oriented individual with experience in marketing and communications. Motivated self-starter who can manage multiple tasks, meet deadlines, and be responsive to changing priorities
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Communications or a similar field or equivalent experience
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to relate to people of diverse backgrounds and clearly communicate orally, in writing and through graphic art
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite, website management, Constant Contact (or other electronic newsletter platforms) and similar programs as needed
- Knowledge and understanding of social media platforms and their strategic use
- Must be organized, able to function as a team member, accept direction and be highly sensitive to and supportive of the needs of the Monastery of St. Gertrude
- An understanding of Benedictine spirituality or an openness and willingness to learn in order to support the mission and vision of St. Gertrude’s
- 2+ years of experience in digital marketing, social media or graphic design
- Understanding of social media metrics and how to analyze and interpret data
- Strong experience with photography, videography and podcasting
- Flexibility in setting work hours
Salary determined by the educational background and experience of each applicant. Full-time personnel offered access to a benefits package including health insurance for employee. The Monastery of St. Gertrude pays only for the health insurance premiums for the employee – not the family – though the employee may choose to cover family at her/his expense. Family annual leave, sick leave, opportunities for professional development, and a retirement program.
To be considered for this position, a complete application packet must be received. Complete application packet will include the following:
- Letter of interest/qualification
- Two current letters of recommendation from professional associates
- A 3-5 page collection of writing or marketing material samples
Submit materials to: Please apply by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Monastery of St. Gertrude is seeking a part-time cook to prepare family-style meals. The successful applicant will be a team player, able to follow directions well, flexible in working arrangements, and willing to work rotating weekends and holidays. To apply: call 208-962-5056 for an application, or mail resume with references to Sister Kim Marie, Monastery of St. Gertrude, 465 Keuterville Road, Cottonwood ID 83522, or e-mail resume to email@example.com.
Sun Porch Assisted Living
Now hiring Certified Nursing Assistants and Caregivers for the newly renovated Sun Porch floor at the Monastery of St. Gertrude. We need team members to help provide 24 hours/7 days a week care for the sisters living on the assisted living floor. We have full time and part time positions available, for days (6 am-2 pm) evenings (2 pm-10 pm) and nights (10 pm-6 am). Shifts can be broken into 4-hour segments. We currently have openings on weekend days, most evenings and 1-2 nights a week. Please call 208-593-2896 to request an application or for any questions.
The Monastery of St. Gertrude is seeking a responsible Housekeeper for maintaining the cleanliness of the buildings at St. Gertrude’s. This is a full-time position with benefits. The successful applicant will be a team player, able to follow directions well, and flexible in working arrangements. To apply: call 208-962-5053 for an application, mail application and/or resume with references to Sister Kim Jordan, Monastery of St. Gertrude, 465 Keuterville Road, Cottonwood ID 83522, or e-mail resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.