She made her perpetual vows at St. Gertrude’s in 1923, the first class to take vows in the new chapel.
She taught school in Washington and Idaho for 51 years, ministering in Cottonwood, Nezperce, Keuterville, Ferdinand, Genesee, St. Maries, Nampa and Colton, WA.
Sr. Ildephonse founded the College of St. Gertrude in 1956. She worked there for 17 years, serving on the faculty and as Dean of the College. During the same period she established the monastery archives, library and the college library.
Sr. Ildephonse was a pioneer in her commitment to higher education for the Sisters. She will be remembered for her strong commitment to education, her enthusiasm in teaching, and her deep love of God. She touched the lives of many people, especially those of her former students.
She is survived by her brother, Martin Nuxoll, and her sister, Bertha Schaff, both of Cottonwood, and numerous nieces and nephews.