April 28, 1915 – October 27, 1998
Sister Mary Gregory (Marie Louise) Carey, 83, died of cancer at the Monastery of St. Gertrude, Cottonwood, ID October 27, 1998. She was born in Dubuque, Iowa, on April 28, 1915, to Robert Bechtel and Katherine Carey.
Sister Gregory entered the monastery at Cottonwood on August 14, 1932, where she made Profession as a Benedictine Sister on August 20, 1934.
From 1932 – 1967 Sister Gregory was a classroom teacher and music instructor in Chewelah, Colton, and Pomeroy, WA; Cottonwood, St. Maries, Nampa, Nezperce, Keuterville, Greencreek, Ferdinand, Boise, and Grangeville, ID. For the past 30 years, she has been at the Monastery of St. Gertrude, Cottonwood, where she served on faculty and was the Director of Development for St. Gertrude’s College for 14 years and continued teaching music until last winter.
Sister Gregory is remembered for her outstanding talents in teaching, music, art, sewing, fancywork, and cooking. Her family, friends, and students enjoyed her quick wit and keen humor and ascribe part of their successes to the many ways she encouraged them to use their talents fully.
She is survived by a half-brother Raymond Furry of Puyallup, WA; three half-sisters, Sylvia Ewart, Ruth Cardy, and Violet Brandy all of Dubuque, IA; and many nieces and nephews.
The Benedictine Sisters thank all those who participated in the Vigil Service held for Sister Gregory in the Monastery Chapel, October 30, 7:00 p.m., and in the Mass of Christian Burial celebrated for her October 31, 10:00 a.m.. Rev. Daniel Pekarske, SDS Chaplain at the Monastery, was Presider. Sr. Mary Kay Henry, Prioress, gave the reflections. Sister Gregory was laid to rest in the Monastery cemetery.